Each module’s Close Month process has been developed with different functionality to accommodate the module specifically. For some modules the Close Month simply advances the month and purges data beyond the retention period set in Company Maintenance and System Parameter Maintenance while others perform more detailed functions. See below for a brief list of the operations that Close Month will perform.
A/P Close Month (APC)
- Advances the month and purges paid, subledger data beyond the retention period specified in Company Maintenance for ‘Detail A/P Months’. *
JIB Close Month (JIC)
- Advances the month and purges unbilled items set to ‘Clear’ from the JIB subledger.
- It also purges JIB detail, per the retention period specified in Company Maintenance for ‘Detail JIB Years’. It purges in calendar-year increments for any complete years beyond the retention period.
- The JIB Close also purges detail for JIB Expense Redistribution vouchers that have been final posted.*
A/R Close Month (ARC)
- Advances the month and purges completely paid invoices and related activity that is beyond the retention period specified in Company Maintenance for ‘Detail A/R Months’.
- This also controls the appearance of AR activity on the AR Summary Statement to purge zero-balance invoices from the statement. So the timing of the close is critical to the appearance of the statement.
- Purges AR Invoice Image records. See System Parameter Maintenance to set the ‘Months to Retain JIB Invoice Reprint’. This setting impacts the ability to re-print a JIB invoice only and does not impact the retention of Invoice Detail records.*
Revenue Close Month (RVC)
- Advances the month and purges completely paid items and related activity that is beyond the retention period specified in Company Maintenance for ‘Detail Rev Months’.
- This also controls the appearance of activity on the Revenue Summary Statement to purge zero-balance data from the statement. So the timing of the close is critical to the appearance of the statement.
- Revenue decks where the same well/product/deck code is superseded with a later effective date will also purge according to the retention setting in System Parameter Maintenance for ‘Months to Retain Old Decks’.
- The Close also purges detail for Revenue Redistribution vouchers that have been final posted.
G/L Close Month (GLC)
- Sets the Accrual date in the GL detail table, summarizes GL detail, and advances fiscal years.
- It also purges GL data according to the retention period settings in Company Maintenance for ‘Detail G/L Months’ and ‘Summary G/L Years’.
- Expense decks where the same well/deck code is superseded with a later effective date will also purge according to the retention setting in System Parameter Maintenance for ‘Months to Retain Old Decks’.
*In a Multi-Currency environment and with option #166 enabled the AR, JIB and AP Close will book currency fluctuations as well.
If a given Close Month does anything besides purging, then the user can elect to Omit Purges when performing the individual close. This applies to the closes for AP, JIB, AR, Revenue, and GL to have the close run more quickly.
This allows the user to defer a lengthy and routine purging until a more convenient time, and still get the logical effect of advancing a month when desired.
The privileges for doing the logical closes may be set differently than for doing the routine purging. This provides more security and control for the Close Month and the Purge Routine. The User Rights are set in User and Group Maintenance (Supervisor Menu) on the User & Group Access tab and may be assigned per user or per group.
MONTHLY PURGE AND CLOSE (MPC)
At the bottom of the Master Maintenance menu is the Monthly Purge and Close option. This option will perform all the purging (and only the purging) associated with a given module's close. For the modules AP, JIB, AR, Revenue and GL, the Monthly Purge and Close program will always purge based on the last month actually closed, and does NOT advance the month. These modules appear on the MPC grid as Purge-Only. For all other modules, the MPC program will do a full close, including purging and advancing, because those modules do nothing BUT purge. These appear in the MPC grid as Purge and Close. The user is warned if any such month-advancing goes beyond the current GL month (a reasonableness check).
Where the close allows the purging to be omitted, users will receive a warning message if purging has been omitted for 6 months or more. Purging may not be omitted when closing the last month of the fiscal year. This means that up to 11 months of purges may be deferred until the last month of the fiscal year, although a more frequent schedule is recommended.
Contact Support@ogsys.com with any questions.